Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Music Teacher

I was pretty tired after two days in a row of full day kindie jobs. How do the kids do it? How do the teachers do it? But I grabbed a primary music job for the next morning because 1) it's music 2) it's primary and 3) it was nearby at a school I really enjoyed earlier in the year.

I got there, and my "classroom" is essentially the back part of the stage. I'd read about this sort of thing in the elementary music teacher group on Facebook. The plans said everything was in the cupboard. The cupboard was locked. There was evidence (and I checked their website) that they had their primary concert the night before.

I went back to the office and there was a teacher there---Megan's kindie teacher! I knew she was at this school. I mention the connection but I doubt she remembers Megan, she's been a teacher a very long time. She led me back and unlocked the cupboard with all the materials. MusicPlay CDs and we'd be singing along, basically. More kindie classes! I'm going to forget how to talk to older students LOL.

I had to do the first class in their room because the stage doors panels hadn't been closed yet. It was fun learning the songs with them, and it was a good class for it. The next few classes I had to go and get them and take them to the stage. Most of the classes were great! There was one class...many kids were absent (I think it was 9!) but the ones that were left were quite a handful! Not too interested in following instructions! We got through it though.

One of the kindie teachers looked very, very pregnant. This was almost the middle of December. A month later her maternity leave LTO was posted in the jobs. I don't understand why they leave posting a maternity leaver LTO until the last minute. It'll post on a Monday, close on Wed, and start on Friday. I was once told that they can't hire the replacement until the leave has started, so that's why there's a delay. But can't they have the replacement lined up before then? They could be coming in and getting to know everyone...

No comments: