Wednesday, February 13, 2019

It Just Doesn't Stop!

I took the next day off (or didn't get a call, I don't remember) and then it was the weekend. I was feeling even worse but got a full day call for Monday. It was for kindie. I was hoping there'd be the regular ECE so I could take it easy a bit.

Got to the school...nope...the teacher actually teaches gr 1. Argh. She was there, getting ready for "BCI meeting". I hear a lot about BCIs but don't know what it means. I asked her, and her answer was "Bullshit Collaborative Initiatives". LOL. Her plan was good though a little hasty to get in place because before school care was in the room. Due to my poorly functioning brain, I wasn't quite clear when it came to the centres later, but we got through it. I had a prep period and actually had a bit to prep, so I stayed in the room. It was music, and also a supply teacher. She had a worksheet but wasn't a music person so I actually got to help her out. She recognized my name from one of the schools the previous month. I write it on the board how it's pronounced, so it looks kind of funny.

At recess the VP (I assume) came in and said although I was booked for the entire day for this teacher, I was actually needed for another teacher for the afternoon. There would be a different supply teacher in this class room, due to the way the booking procedure works. Whatev. Just tell me where to go.

And so I went upstairs to a grade 2/3 room. The plan looked good, the kids came in and were friendly and pretty good. It didn't take too long for one kid, "Carlos" to start having issues. Towards the end of the day they were working in pairs on some math stuff and he and a partner went into a storage closet they also use as workspace. They weren't working. They were breaking pencils and stuff and being annoying to each other and others. The one boy hurt another boy and they went to the office, etc. Finally it was time to go. It was a later dismissal school (3:40) and I wanted to go to the walk in clinic which was a good 15 minutes away, at least. The kids got ready in the hall, the bell rang, I finished up my note and tidied up.

I went to the office to return the key. I heard them talking about Carlos. I filled them in a bit more. Then a woman pops into the office and says "Has anyone seen Carlos?"  I said I had just been his teacher and he had gotten ready with the class and left. They wanted to know if he left before the bell. I wasn't 100% sure but I had seen him at his hook within a couple minutes of the bell--just couldn't remember if it was before or after. I'm told to wait there and there's a flurry of people with walkie talkies rushing about looking for Carlos, because apparently he didn't meet his dad at the regular spot. His dad came to the office and I did not want  to get involved--he seemed like an intense person. I went out into the foyer and heard someone talk into their walkie that he had been found. I went back to the office and asked the secretary if I could go. The principal was talking with the father at the street and I didn't want to intrude. The VP came back in the office and I said I was going since he had been found. He thanked me for my flexibility and patience, and off I went. All this was less than 15 minutes after the bell, but I had horrible thoughts of getting  investigated and admonished.

When I finally got myself together and pulled out, they were still out at the street talking. I headed off to the walk in clinic. It was a long wait, I didn't get out until nearly 7, but I got some medicine, and that was the only day I worked that week. Friday morning was the Remembrance ceremony at my youngest's school so I went for that. The music teacher asked me if I was free for the afternoon cause there was an issue at her house. I had planned to go to the high school for the awards ceremony in the afternoon (Lucy was getting Honour Roll). I had totally forgot that I also needed to pick Hugh up from the train station because he was coming home for his graduation! So, I wasn't 100% better by Friday LOL.

No comments: