Friday, February 8, 2019

Keep Me Away From Computers

After turning down "Construction Technology" as one of my first high school job offers, I did accept "Design Technology". It felt closer to what I had done before in high school. Though back then I got banned from using the AutoCAD computer in the drafting room because every time I did, it froze.

This high school is pretty much the furthest school in the region (of the areas I've selected to work). It draws from a rural area as well as very new housing, and now, not-so-new housing but it's not really "old" yet. The school has been in the news for a fight at a nearby plaza that left a young person dead. So I went in with a bit of caution. The school layout is basically the same as my kids' high school so at least I felt a little bit of ease. I had a hard time deciding what to wear. When I did the music day and the family studies day, it was quite warm, and I wore a dress. This day was definitely fall, and with the tech department being mostly male usually, I opted for pants. I should have worn a dress.

The secretary was great and I found my room. Kids started trickling in and they seemed polite and fine with me being here. They were working on projects and most kids used the time effectively. A few didn't, but I'm sure that's no surprise to the teacher.

I found the tech workroom for lunch and my key didn't work. Oh well. My desk was way at the end...past all the men. BUT. The desk next to me was a lady. She did the photography classes and it kind of felt like she really missed having another woman around. She was dressed up. I felt like a schlepp in my pants and Sketchers. We both had prep after lunch, and I had brought a book to read, but she talked most of the way through prep (while she was doing her work).

I did have some hall duty at lunch. There was quite a raucous with some girls and the science office. Seems like one got her phone taken away and another girl was furious about it. The idea of "do what you're asked and then you wouldn't have this issue" seemed totally foreign to them. Doing hall duty as a supply teacher is so useless. Unless someone has a medical issue, I doubt I'd be able to intervene in any situation.

Last period was a grade 11 class. I'm finding grade 11s tend to be like grade 6's. They're tired of being in the middle of the pack and they get attitude. I recognized the name of a daughter of a friend, so that was cool. Most of the kids worked fine, but there were two that basically had a nap, and a couple at the back that did more research about basketball shoes than house design, but again, not a surprise. The teacher from the period before came in to visit. He's being mentored by who I was filling in for so he visits frequently (it's his prep). He knows the kids and tried to get them on task too, but realizes it's sometimes a lost cause. They weren't being disruptive, so I can't really complain. No hot and fragrant pizzas today LOL.

No comments: