Thursday, February 21, 2019

Back to High School

I got an afternoon call to the high school to the far east, where I did the tech design day. Sure! I needed to go to the craft store, and it's right down the street LOL. And, it was a geography job! Sweet.

I got there, read the plans. Showing a video and a question sheet to fill out at the same time. However....it said the video was cued up and there was nothing there. No computer. Nothing.

A sweet young man came in and introduced himself saying he has anxiety and doesn't like to talk in class and sits in the corner. So I was able to check him off on the attendence ahead of time.

Then the teacher comes in. A smartly dressed young man. I wished, once again, that I had gone the dress route. I was dressed nice, but could've gone for a dress. It was November though. He got the video all set up and I asked him about the kids.

He got a look on his face and hesitated. Oh boy. He said "Entitled asshole milleniums".

Ouch.

He added that I should be really strict because they've been rough on supplies. And if a kid is acting up to just get out of the room, just kick them out; don't even tell them to go to the office. The kids seemed to like him, maybe cause he's young. I had to keep getting after them to answer the questions and be quiet so they could hear the video. For the second class, I actually stopped the video at key points so they could write things down. Should have done that with the first class. The kids said he's going to yell at them the next day. I said, well...you knew the expectations and you chose to do the things that results in the teacher yelling at you and leaving boring work cause he can't trust you when there's a supply teacher.

Why don't kids get this?! Argh.

No comments: