Friday, February 8, 2019

Really, I AM a Music Teacher

The next call I got was for an afternoon covering for the music teacher that leads the jazz band my youngest is now in. Fun! I let him know I would be in; hopefully I would get to actually be a music teacher!

I got there early and he was directing band. I had my flute, so I joined in. Fun.

He had prep after lunch, and the other periods were to be spent on worksheets, "unless I had some tricks in my bag I wanted to do". I said it'd been so long since I've worked, and really hadn't gotten any chances to do "real music" yet so I was trickless.

The classes felt huge. They were energetic and not thrilled to work on theory sheets. The grade 5s were just starting their instruments but all the classes were just too rowdy to even think about getting instruments out.

I had recess duty. Of course it was cold and windy.

One of the periods was a grade 8 class and there was a girl who knew my daughter from the jazz band. The kids were working on an assignment using Soundtrap. It seemed really interesting and most of them were quite engaged with it. I want to explore it on my own when I get a chance (LOL).

Not a lot to say about the afternoon. Many kids were friendly and polite but as a whole class, it seemed so noisy. I am not a fan of the junior division.


No comments: