Friday, February 22, 2019

Eating My Words

Remember the day where I was locked out of the portable 10 minutes before school started? The loud grade 3 kids who were messy and needy? And I'd never go back to that school?

Well, I got called for a music teacher there, another half day; morning. This time I left with plenty of time. I thought.

Got there, and got what appeared to be the last parking spot and there was still 25-30 minutes to go. I heard the secretary tell someone else that they have 45 spots and 60 staff.

Waited for the instructions. Found the workroom. It was locked. Walked back to the office (at least I was inside). The secretary was just like "Oh. It should be open. There's usually someone there. And the custodian's outside salting the sidewalks so you'll have to wait for someone with a key."  Really? The custodian doesn't carry a walkie-talkie? There's no spare key in the office?

Finally after nearly 10 minutes, the VP comes out and says she'll take me down. She was the principal at my kids' school the last year it was opened. She gave me trouble for waiting on the pavement at lunch recess--I couldn't stay to visit with my kid and her friends. She made the kids start going to the bathroom with a buddy. There was less than 150 kids in the school. Why should 2 miss class time when they had been fine with just 1 before?  I mentioned to her that I remembered her from that school and she wasn't very talkative. She was there just one year, I guess it didn't really mean much to her.

Got in the room, got my lesson plans, looks good. Upstairs for the first class, I dont' remember what it was about now. Then back down to a kindergarten room. Somehow, I took a wrong turn and did an entire loop of the square school before getting to the kindie room. And I forgot that I had wanted to stop at the workroom to pick up the materials for the kindie class. If I had made the correct turn, I would have passed the workroom. The kindie staff didn't look happy I was a few minutes late so I didn't even ask if I could run back (it was just a couple doors down!). I did have the iPod with the music, but I wasn't entirely sure what to do with the songs LOL. We did some marching activity, some loud and soft activity. I tried to keep them engaged with other ideas about loud and soft, and teaching them Italian so they could go home and impress their parents. Personally, I prefer loud and quiet. Soft to me (and many kids) means a texture or a gesture. I noticed a book on their bookshelf that mentioned drums, so I read that (except it wasn't all that great for a kindie class). Finally, the class was over.

I had outside recess duty and it was so cold and windy! There's 12 portables and I had a class in one of the portables. I think they were pretty good. Though I did have some class somewhere (other than that really hot day at the school that had the lock down drill, where I had the horrible class in the portable). Oh, I remember. They weren't awesome, but it wasn't too too bad. We listened to an Aboriginal artist and they had a sheet to fill out about him. Many kids were not interested though. Hard to get them engaged when I didn't really know anything about it. One kid was very enthusiastic about the song/music. He had even watched the video for the song on YouTube after their last class when they first heard it.

As I was packing up, that boy stopped by the music office just as the music teacher was getting there. He was so happy! I let the teacher know how it went, especially the kindie class, LOL. Said I'd love to be back. Although the morning wasn't "perfect" it was so much better than the first morning I was there. Now, if only the secretary could get a little more enthusiastic about her job...


No comments: