Friday, February 8, 2019

I'm A Music Teacher...

I got another call for the old high school where the kid ordered the pizza. It was listed as Instrumental Music. I was nervous and excited. This school runs an arts program, auditioned-entry. I also knew (somewhat, don't know she'd remember me) one of the teachers from when she played in our community band for awhile. I was nervous! I opted to wear a dress this time!

I got to the school and pulled in behind another vehicle, and looked for my assigned spot. The SUV in front of me pulled into it! What?! I knew there were visitor spots, but I'd have to find where I saved that info, or call into the school and there were other cars trying to park. So I went over to spot #1 that says reserved for Office Staff. I headed in to the office and told the secretary. The teacher was going on a field trip and hadn't made note that she still needed her spot. Luckily I was able to stay in spot #1. Well, at the end of the day it wasn't lucky but oh well.

I headed up to find the music office which is tucked in between two rooms. I go in the first room and it's packed with kids and camp gear! Oh, they're going on a retreat. Lucky. However, the teacher I was in for, was not the one who pulled into my spot. She just wasn't there and I guess one of the other music teachers liked that spot better. It was pretty crazy with the kids getting ready for retreat and last minute issues. I had a first period prep. I hate that. While it's nice in some ways, 75 minutes is too long when all I have to do is write my name on the board and what they need to work on. And to make it even more awkward, I had a student teacher. The kids all seemed to like him, so I was totally fine with letting him lead the class.

So all I did in period 2 was walk around the room and watch. I didn't know if I should step in and help some kids, or if he was expecting any feedback from me. 

Lunch was lame though I had duty in the library so that killed some time. Again, all I did was walk around and look at the student art, the books on display, and spoke with a girl who had a flute case.

After lunch though, I was to do "Student Success/Credit Recover". The instructions weren't very clear but I was excited to finally get off the second floor of the school and up to the top floor LOL. I really didn't know what I was supposed to do with the kids. They seemed to be doing independent work, and other kids would be coming in and out of the room. No one seemed to need me.

There was one interesting boy who reminded me of the boy I spent lunch with. That school possibly fed into this high school, I wasn't positive. I asked him if he had a younger brother named "Alex". No, but he had a half sister who didn't know he existed and .....I'm sure it was a fascinating story but how sad too!

I ended off the day by taking the key back to the office. Then I went down to the staff bathroom in the basement. Even though I'd been there before, for some reason I went the wrong way heading to the exit. I have no clue why. I ended up walking around the outside of the school, past the spot I was supposed to park in, instead of out the doors right up the stairs from the bathroom. And I was in a rush because I had to pick up Megan for skating!

No comments: