Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Second Chance Kindies

As mentioned yesterday, I pre-arranged to come in for a kindie class that I covered earlier in the school year. A full day. I was pretty worried. The one afternoon had been very draining, how would a whole day go?

The regular ECE was there. That helped immensely. So much so, that I think they shouldn't be allowed to have both out on the same time. And that every class in a school should have another adult in the class. This time, the day went pretty smoothly. I got to know the kids a bit better and get back stories on some of them. There were still some challenges typical to kindergarten but I didn't come home feeling like I'd survived a tornado. I felt maybe things were getting good again, and perhaps primary is where I belonged. People are often amazed that I do primary and high school (and intermediate, which was 7-8 when I took the program but now seems to include 7-9 or even 7-10). I rarely have had a good day with grades 5-6 and even 7-8 can be hit or miss. I was planning to do my Junior ABQ this summer (4-6) but I don't ever want to made to teach 5-6 just because I have the qualification. Right now, I can hit "Not Qualified" on the job calls and I'm not permanent so a principal can't assign me a junior class (if I were permanent---the principal can shuffle teachers around to keep them fresh, provide continuity, or just cause they want you to deep clean your room by moving to another room....okay, maybe that's not a valid reason but I've seen cases where that's what it seemed like!).

No comments: