Thursday, February 21, 2019

Hugh Returns!

Thanksgiving was fast approaching and we stressed to Hugh that he needed to figure out how he was getting home for Thanksgiving. We offered to drive one way--preferred the way back. We recommended he try the TriColour Express. This is a chartered bus service run by Queen's students. It's $40Cdn for a one way ticket. It even makes its first campus pickup at West Campus, so despite living "in the boonies", Hugh can get on the bus first and be assured of a seat (they don't get reserved seats and tickets are sold up to an hour before departure and they don't oversell tickets but it's still nice to get on the first bus). The downside was that someone had to drive into Scarborough during rush hour on a Friday to pick him up. I didn't raise my hand for that job!

Hugh was so laid back about the whole going  to university process. Maybe it was anxiety, maybe it's just him. We had to nudge him every.step.of.the.way. We were hoping that once he was there, he'd start taking initiative and figure these things out on his own. It was slow going, but he's doing it. 

He got involved in Frosh Week (I think it's supposed to be called Orientation Week)
and joined the fencing team (what?!) and went and did archery.


 He had shown great skill at archery at Culver Family Camp, but we'd never gotten another try.  I just searched my blog and I never wrote about our camp experience? I just posted on Facebook? I got behind with posting about the family cruise and never did family camp? What?! Here's some photos, from 2014.


Onwards. Hugh finally got around to getting his bus ticket.


Rob and Lucy drove in to meet him. Rob wanted to leave very early and I was like...you don't need that much time. Lucy texts me to tell me he hadn't looked at the directions and missed the exit. Then there was no parking...and they had to figure out where the bus might come (it just says "bus terminal").  Meanwhile Hugh was texting me to tell me they were behind schedule. Eventually I get word that they're about to pull in the driveway and I set up my camera and get the dog to the front door.

And lets just say, Skippy didn't seem all that impressed his boy was back home. I recorded their reuniting, but really, it's so unimpressive that it's kind of impressive.

 Hugh loves his puppy, and his puppy loves him. When we first got him, Hugh had a regular bed and often Skippy snuck up on it. Hugh's had a loft bed for a while, but once he moved out, we gave it to Megan. I mean...Hugh's 6'1". He couldn't even sit up in the loft bed. Neither can Megan though LOL. We thought Skippy would be back on the bed, but he wasn't. Hugh kept his door shut a lot.



 We had a delicious Thanksgiving turkey thanks to Martha Stewart
 Someone enjoyed a turkey wing.
And before we knew it, it was time to take Hugh back. Traffic was surprisingly slow, there and back.
 Hugh's family invades his room! I think we took him for dinner but I can't remember where. Maybe Scores Pizza. Hugh had a history project he was working on and needed to go find a statute of Sir John A MacDonald. His directions were just "south east corner of City Park". First we had to convince Rob which park was city park. Then which was the south east corner (also, Hugh had "north west corner of King and West St"). We parked (gawd. Parking in Kingston sucks everywhere) and walked towards the statues

 We're not really sure you're allowed to do this LOL.
 Long slow drive into the sunset
 I discovered the filters available on my phone's camera


 Tail lights. I'm not sad when he leaves but I do miss him. I want to get to experience this new young man, cause he is really changing and developing into a person. His teen years....he was just kind of a lump. LOL. Sorry Hugh :)




No comments: