Friday, March 8, 2019

A Full Day of Music!

I started off the next week with a call to a school to the north. I was excited because it was a full day, and Megan's skating coach's kids go to the school. It's also laid out like Megan's school.

I got there and found out I have three preps--starting the morning with a double prep! Also had recess duty and one class in a portable (before recess).

Kids were a bit disappointed they weren't going to play instruments. I never know if the kids will behave and I trust the classroom teacher's judgement. They worked on compositions using www.soundtrap.com.

But then. There was a class that had an assignment that was supposed to be in their Google Classroom. One by one they started telling me they couldn't find it. At first, I thought it was just that student's issue, but it quickly turned into the whole class was missing it. Okay. I had no copy of the actual assignment, just that it was about music's influence on culture. About 15 minutes into the 30 minute class, I emailed the teacher. She quickly responded but it took until 5 minutes before the end of class for the assignment to get posted. The next period was also doing the same assignment and luckily they did have it in their Classroom.

Second to last period was a grade 7/8 class. They were working on a Language assignment. From across the room, I heard the words "Mrs Nutt...kindergarten...Palmerston". Crazy! Megan went to Palmerston and had Mrs Nutt! I approached the girl, who apparently was in JK when Megan was in SK and they were in the same class! She says she didn't remember Megan, she didn't remember much except when the ice cream truck came to the school.

My last period was a prep and I had to leave the room. I spent the prep time going through my Google Photos archive on my phone to find when Megan had a friend over for her birthday and they decorated gingerbread houses. Megan had two friends in the class and I couldn't tell which girl this was (there was only about 9 kids in the entire class). I knew the other girl's last name and that she lived in Brooklin and that her mom was a teacher. I coudn't remember though which girl came for the "party".
 Megan and her cake
 Lucy and her house. I'm not showing a photo of the girl because I don't have her permission.

I went back up just before the bell and showed the girl the photos, and it was her! What a small world! Her friends all thought she was cute LOL.

It was nice to have a day without big issues, even grades 5-7 were decent! I added the school to my "I'd go back there" list.

No comments: