Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More Bedroom Photos

Some more pictures of the transformation. Here you can see just how high the new bed is! The two bedside lights are new, from Wal-Mart. There is an uplight, and then also a down light (in the upside down cone under the up light). We couldn't get the recommended lightbulb size to fit in the downlight though, so we got some other ones later. You can have just the up light, just the downlight, or both on. There are three shelves on each too, the bottom one is just big enough for magazines. That's the CD/clock radio on the middle shelf. Here's the 'finished' view! It's not nearly as dark as it looks; I should have lightened it up before posting. The chair in the corner was there before, but I threw a piece of brown corduroy over it. Rob thought I had made a slipcover, LOL. I don't know what I'll do if someone finally asks for a brown corduroy pouch sling! The turquoise pillow on it was a very last minute addition. It's actually just a pillow form wrapped in some fleece I had bought from the marked down bin at Wal-Mart but it ended up being too narrow to make anything. I am planning to properly finish the pillow! The white wicker basket was an almost-last-minute addition, it's filled with all my turquoise/teal yarn, LOL. When I ordered the bedding on sears.ca I was really ticked off to be told after confirming my order that the duvet cover and shams were backordered.....to July 15 and May 15. The curtain topper came in April, but I was left with a big issue. I could choose sheets (and the ceiling light) based on the curtain, but the stripes on the curtain are chocolate and dark, greyish turquoise. How was I going to choose the wall colour from that?! At first I thought I wanted a more intense turquoise. To finally decide, I got a colour shade card from Home Depot, and matched the dark ribbon to one of the colours. Then I picked the second lightest colour on the card, called "Seafoam Breeze". I almost went with the next darker colour, which would have been a much more noticeable change, but I'm glad I didn't, even though it's not all that much darker, sometimes you just can't tell from the card.
I was concerned about the dark furniture (especially since we can't have the headboard/footboard anymore). I thought it was the furntiure that was out of place in the room before, and figured we'd go get some white furniture from IKEA. But once the room was finished, the furniture fit in nicely. My tall unit in the corner is a faux green marble, and it looks okay too.
On my dresser is a scrap piece of brown brocade from Rob's brother, who gave me a big box of fabric left over from a movie/tv show. On the bed, you can see I didn't tuck in the top sheet, and I used a fitted sheet to cover the boxspring. I didn't realize that you usually use a bedskirt to do that, I thought the bedskirt just hung below the boxspring, LOL. Mom thought I was ingenious, but this is just how we've done it since getting a 'real' bed (not a futon). Partly cause I don't think a bedskirt would have worked well with the old bedframe. On the bed, is some dark brown fleece that I bought to make pouch slings.


Even though the bed is wider, we have a touch more room because the light towers are narrower than the old night tables. THe wall colour is nothing like what it's showing on my monitor!! On this light tower is a plant that was already in a turquoise pot (and I had to move it the next morning because it freaked me out all night long), and a cold beer in an ice bucket that Rob had gotten for his birthday a few years ago from his parents and had only used to house receipts and change on his dresser, and three little tea lights in glass holders, turquoise and black.

On his dresser is a crystal candy dish from our wedding crystal, filled with turquoise candies/jelly beans, etc. Good thing we had just had Easter, and not Christmas or Valentine's Day! LOL.

This is our old bedroom--from the old house. It was hideous shades of pink when we bought the house, and poorly painted. So we had painted before we actually moved in. There was wall paper on the bottom, and the chair rail was sprayed gold, that patina'd over time. The walls were painted "Stuffing" which reminded me of a good, Canadian "Double-Double". I loved the colour! It was a very .....elegant? room (on the rare occasion that it got cleaned and dolled up), and we toyed with the idea of painting the room in our new house the same colour, we loved it that much. But it was time to move on---we've been here two years now!

The new duvet cover and shams finally came in, so the room is 'complete' and I'll post pictures later; I just have to make it all up, tidy up, LOL, and wait for some sunlight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing design!! Check out the wide range of Elegant Bedroom Furniture from Spacify.com.