Friday, January 25, 2019

Just Call Me Chief

I got another high school call, for the Head of the Social Sciences department! I wasn't entirely sure what that meant. Of course, as a supply teacher, we really don't get to be the head of the department, but what were social sciences? Lucy said it included anthropology and sociology. Oh my. I didn't recall putting them on my form! The school was a very old one, with very limited parking. The message said to park in spot number 1. Wow, the teacher must be pretty important!

I got there and found the office. The school is old, with several additions. Where some of them join up is kind of an odd area but I had actually been to that part before. Then my classrooms were pretty much in the same area where I had dropped Lucy off for a band festival a few years ago. The secretary said parking spot #1 is a reserved spot for if the teacher's spot is still being used (like, they're in the school doing workshops but have a supply teacher). Thanks for bursting my bubble a little LOL.

I found the class, and the teacher came in. She was going on a field trip. She said the first class is good but the second class and the last period can be a handful. Okay. Oh, and it's Food and Nutrition courses. Cool.

The first period class was to go to the library to work on computers on a project. That was just a few doors down the hall. Would I ever see anymore of the school? I really had nothing to do except do a lap of the computers every 10 minutes or so, and chat with a girl who wasn't feeling well.

Second period. Grade 11/12 I think. I had to hand out a set of worksheets for them to fill in. Couldn't find the textbooks to go with them. And then a few students start telling me they've already done these sheets. What? These exact ones? Yup.

They wanted to watch a movie. A girl went next door to the workroom and asked a teacher in there for a laptop so they could watch the movie. She came back in with a anti-Semite comment about the teacher being stingy! A few kids were asking me questions to gauge my "coolness". One was if I had ever "smoked backwards". This was a new one to me and a text to Lucy didn't provide any answers. Finally a teacher came in with a laptop and hooked it up and started "Ratatouille".  I guess a Disney movie wasn't exactly what they had in mind LOL.

At one point, one of the rowdier boys asked to go to the bathroom. Fine. He left and a few minutes later his table mates, who had been on their phones, asked to go to the bathroom. I had seen them come towards the front so I went and stood in the doorway and said no. They got back on the phone. Then the first boy came back, there was a mini-conference and he dashed out of the room again. He came back a minute later with a full size Dominoes pizza!! What?!

Lunch was so long, then I had a prep, and that was dreadfully long. Last period came and it was in another room, but just next door. It was the cooking room so that was cool to see.
 This neat thing is to grow veggie plants inside. The arms that come down are lights.
 Oh my. I hadn't been told about that at the training session!

The kids had an assignment to finish online. Except that the interactive website they were to use wasn't interactive anymore. Some of the kids actually worked, but many just chilled out and played games. It was the last period before the Thanksgiving long weekend, so really, I couldn't blame them.

The teacher came back before the end of the class and I told her about the pizza incident. She groaned. The week prior, while they had a supply teacher, he came in with an entire Swiss Chalet meal and had been advised not to do that again!

I got out of there at a decent time but had to wait to get out of the parking lot. While waiting, I saw this same guy talking with a group of students at the exit, and then as he walked towards me I saw he was counting a big wad of money. Yeah. Some kids were going to have a lit Thanksgiving.

No comments: