Saturday, September 12, 2020

Chip Truck Review---Tragically Chip Truck

My niece was visiting from Ottawa, previously New Mexico. She moved up in the summer so she could go to boarding school here in the fall. She had recently become a Canadian citizen and one thing on her Canadian Bucket List Bingo was to have poutine. I was happy to provide this experience LOL. I had been making a lot of trips to Brooklin this summer--Megan's skating coach lined a couple skaters up with a  personal trainer who works with Toronto pro athletes, and Megan's "boyfriend" lives just up the road from Tragically Chip. So, one day we combined our trip there!


This is probably a medium. They were pretty much the same as my first visit. Fluffy fries, rich tasty gravy and plenty of curds. I liked the gravy, Megan wasn't too fond as always, and I didn't care for the fries, just like before. It was a lot for the three of us. Nya wasn't too overwhelmed with enthusiasm. I'm not sure they were the best ones to try for a first time, but the atmosphere and company was good. 


First Visit, August 2019
Rob and I were out and had some time to kill before we had to be somewhere. As we were driving by I saw that this truck was open. I had previously reviewed "2 Guys Fries" and I wasn't too impressed. Then the chef messaged me to say he had totally changed things, and to come back. Then the truck was for sale and I don't know if it even opened last summer. My spies gave me mixed information. So I was really curious to give this truck a try.

 I thought the name was catchy. Not really sure it carried through on the theme though. It could have really been played up.
 Much smaller menu than previously. The burgers  seemed priced a little high, so I hope they're good. The combos only saved about 50 cents. We were severely limited on cash though, so we just got fries.
I believe this is a large, plus a gravy. We were quite stuffed after. And again, we had differing opinions. Rob loved these, I didn't. I must have weird ideas about French Fries. They were fluffy inside, but can you see the distinct colour changes on some of the fries? I think they weren't shaken while frying. Some had a texture I didn't like. I ate the darker ones and Rob gobbled up the other ones. I liked the gravy though I think it's a mix.

All the same details about location, ambiance, etc, apply. The lack of onion rings was disappointing. The price of the burgers compared to A&W just up the street...they better be awesome. I'm not itching to go back, though Rob said he would.

No comments: