Monday, September 14, 2020

Food Truck Review---Ma & Pa's Pitas

 Megan and I were watching a TV show reviewing restaurants. There was one showing making falafels and other Middle Eastern dishes. She expressed an interest in trying them. Sure thing, I know just the food truck to check out. 

I had heard many good things about Ma & Pa's Pitas truck in various restaurant review groups on Facebook. This truck is new this spring. Previously, it was "Mr Good Chip" but that didn't last long. The owners are super friendly, everything is made/prepared fresh, and it shows. There's shawarma, gyros, shawarma poutine, fries, poutine, garlic potatoes. They use 100% peanut oil! Yay! I've learned a lot about the nastiness of canola oil. 

This is a small poutine. It's packaged in a fiberboard type container! Yay! That means it can go in the compost. It also doesn't steam the fries as much as styrofoam. There was a really good amount of cheese curds, and they even squeaked! I can't remember the last time I had cheese curds on a chip truck poutine that squeaked! The gravy was really, really good. Megan even liked it, even though it was more on the beefy side. I don't think of french fries as traditional Middle Eastern food, so I suspect these are mainly a menu filler and a profit filler, but they don't taste like it--they are very worthy of a visit on their own!!

This is the beef shawarma. Well, more accurately, it's the portion Rob cut off for me LOL. I was really impressed with the beef. I bit into it thinking it was going to be like beef strips in restaurant fajitas. No! Way, way better! A totally different texture!  I could have had a bit more seasoning on it but perhaps it's better business to make it on the mild side. I would definitely get the beef! I try to order beef items when we eat out because we don't eat it a lot at home but I still need it for the iron and other wonderful nutritional factors.


This is Megan's falafel pita. She liked it though she thought there'd be more sauce, and was expecting the falafel to be more green. The ones we saw on TV had a lot of cilantro and parsley, and were quite green. She would have liked cilantro in it as she's quite the fan of it. She did realize that placing the hummus in the middle and being light on the sauce made for a much tidier meal! 

We all agreed that these were really good pitas! You can tell that the toppings are all very fresh. No slimy, runny tomatoes. I had hoped to try pickled mango but that might be a really unusual topping. All this, plus 3 pops (and tax) came to $27, but thankfully, they take credit/debit! Not all food trucks do. We would definitely make a point of going back to this food truck! They will also make the pita as a salad, which is what I'll probably do next. Or maybe I'll get the beef shawarma poutine....

If you're on Facebook, check out their page at:  https://www.facebook.com/Ma-Pas-Pitas-103653898006056/ 

UPDATE:  

I took the other child yesterday, and she agreed it was very good poutine. She felt the gravy to fries ratio was perfect, the fiberboard clamshell practical and optimal. No complaints about the gravy! I ordered the beef shawarma poutine. Wow, so much food! 


No hummus. The beef tasted a bit "spicier," it's not spicy...it had more flavour. Not that it didn't have flavour before, but maybe it was easier to separate the flavours with the poutine. I couldn't finish all the fries, and I even had a helper! What I really need is a small shawarma salad and a tiny poutine. LOL.

No comments: