Friday, March 15, 2019

Science?!

I got a call for a grade 8 morning job at a school just 5 minutes up the street. I was so excited. Except that it has a 8:05 start time LOL (which means being there at 7:35). The secretary was awesome (I told her how much I wanted to come to the school since it was so close), every teacher I met was great. I got to the room and find out it's science.

Argh! No! Not science! The plans indicated that everything was in Google Classroom and I wouldn't actually be teaching anything. Which can make for a very boring morning.

The kids were pretty typical. Some working, some not working, some goofing off, etc. I'm pretty much just the adult in the room to maintain the required ratio.

One class was working on a solutions and mixtures assignment. They had to pretend to be in a store and look at certain items and determine if they were pure, a solution, or a mixture. I had a few kids ask about "drink crystals". I explained to two boys, it was a powder you add to water, like Kool Aid or Crystal Lite.

"Or crystal meth?"

Umm. No. "Do not mix crystal meth into water, kids".

"Why?"

Does it matter why?! LOL.

No comments: