Friday, March 15, 2019

Another Day at the Banana School

I got a call for a full day, grade 1, at the Banana School.  I was willing to give it another try. Primary kids are usually good no matter where you go (though I have written about days where that's not the case...but truly, those are the odd ones out).

I got there and the secretary was so nice and friendly! I had no idea if it was the same secretary as before. I had also heard from others that the secretary is not very welcoming. So maybe a different one? I headed to the class, which was being used by the before school care. The first thing I see on the desk is a note, to leave everything the way it is now. Yikes. I took a picture of the desk just to make sure I could remember.

The plans looked good, but I couldn't find a few little things. Then, a woman showed up. Apparently she recently started volunteering full time in this class (as well as being a lunch supervisor, and having two kids at the school). She was very, very helpful finding things and going to photocopy some things. Most of the time she was a great benefit to the class.

There were three or four students listed as needing close attention and extra help. Luckily, only one showed up (it was an extreme cold day). This student had behavioural needs and reward charts, etc. Apparently he could be difficult with supply teachers. I really had no problem with him, but I was shocked at how strict the volunteer was with him, and that she took it upon herself to move his clip on his behaviour chart. To me, his behaviour was actually normal (not desired, but it was within the normal range for his age and the activity). She said you have to be strict with him or he takes advantage of you. Well, his behaviour went downhill after she moved his clip and gave him a time out.

We had indoor recess and indoor lunch. I went to the staff room at lunch, and was a little surprised to hear teachers putting down parents because of income and disabilities. The area is known to have a high level of unemployment, due to lack of jobs and especially disabilities. One teacher was talking about using a Water Pik and how gum health is important to overall health and another teacher joked that there were a lot of parents there that should hear that message. Another teacher commented that since these parents didn't work, everyday was the weekend, so they could at least get out of pajamas by the time they come pick up the kids.

I went back to the classroom and found that a kindergarten class had joined mine. It was chaos. So noisy.

The other issue I had...the volunteer sat down in the teacher's chair at her desk. And didn't move when I had my prep. So I had to sit on a little chair at the guided table to do some marking. Like, hello? She was on her phone, I could see Facebook open. She never thought to offer the teacher's chair to the supply teacher? Not trying to put my nose up in the air, but c'mon. I had marking to do. She had FB memes to read. Who should get the comfy chair?

I'll still try this school again. It's quite a bit of distance for me though, and right now, I'm in a half day job that could keep getting extended, so any half days I take will need to be closer to home.

No comments: