Thursday, March 21, 2019

It's a Job

I didn't work much early Feb so I was happy to get an afternoon instrumental. Yes, it was aaaallll the way across the next city. But I knew a teacher at the school who had told me it was an awesome school. I messaged her to say I'd be coming. She had JUST started her maternity leave!!

I get signed in and told the room number. It's clearly a music room. However, on and around the desk is mainly French things (it's a FI school). No day plans for me. There's another area that was like a student desk turned into a teacher desk. Nothing there either. A lunch supervisor (or staff doing lunch supervision) came in the room (which was a bit rowdy) and I asked her if she had seen the teacher. She directed me to the VP (I think) who was across the hall. The VP didn't know where she was, but knew that her desk was in a little workroom/office area. We go in there....the ukulele club is having a practice. Little kids. Charming.

There's nothing on the desk. The VP is phoning around, I find a "sub tub" as they call them in the States. But no instructions. I can see her daily schedule, which does indicate the first period after lunch is a prep. So that's good.

Finally, the teacher comes flying in 5 minutes before the end of lunch. With her son. She needs to leave for a funeral. Her plans are on her computer. It was a hot mess of trying to get the laptop to work, and the USB stick and rapid fire "you can do this or this and this or this". Basically, for some of the classes, there was a 90 minute video, a bingo game and a worksheet. For a 30 minute class.

The first class up was a 7/8 class that needed to work on their theory booklets. Some insisted they were done and were rough housing, generally being pests. Then I was out in the portables.

I think it was grades 5-6. The kids were rowdy, wild, etc etc etc. One of those days that makes me feel like a glorified babysitter.

As the last few kids were getting ready to go home, I heard someone say "cancer" and "this is how you die" (or something) and there was laughter. I kind of lost it on them. My father was dying of cancer. It's not humourous. They finished getting ready silently and said good bye.

I went back upstairs to the office where my stuff was.

My key didn't work the lock. Luckily someone was walking by who noticed my plight and the custodian was close by, so I got let in.

It wasn't worth the drive and $90. But it's a job to add to my total days.

No comments: