Thursday, July 9, 2020

Burger Joint Review--Big Boy's Burgers, Whitby

Whitby does not have many permanent food trucks. They have a bylaw allowing only 3! Although I've heard of a 4th this summer, so I'm not sure what's up. The town is going to look into creating a "Food Truck Corner"--there's one in the next city over that is so popular. However, they don't plan to have this up until 2022. Yeah. Because it's on municipal land. I think the other one is probably on private property. So, I've had to expand my reviews to other sources of poutine and fries.

Rob painted the basement stairs without telling me, so I couldn't get the frozen meat for dinner out of the freezer. Perfect opportunity to get take out from somewhere new. We selected Big Boy's Burgers. I had read a lot of good reviews. The menu is on their website, HOWEVER, the prices are actually higher at the restaurant. I wasn't going to get a combo, but was kind of guilt tripped into it by the very friendly staff. The drink is huge. I got ice tea so I could drink it over a couple days. The restaurant is set up really well for this COVID period. You get to select your toppings when you order. I don't remember ordering onions though, but somehow got them. 


This was Megan's Crispy Chicken. It's upside down. That's the gravy on the side on the left (cut off). This is a great way to get gravy for take out. Always ask!


I got a Original Burger--1/4lb with bacon and cheese. I also got gravy. All the extras really add up. We could have done with one less gravy, as we're more "dippers" than "drowners". The gravy was very rich and flavourful. I believe this will be the gravy on their poutine (it says "beef gravy" on the menu). 

The fries were just like I like them! All those little crispy bits! They were in cardboard, open top boxes, and I think that really, really makes a difference. Foam clamshells, or even any closed top container, are murder to fries. The burger was wrapped in a foil sheet, also a great way to do it. The buns were a little soft, but I don't mind that. I hate a crispy bun that roughs up the roof of your mouth. 

The food was very filling, and very good. I would prefer my burger slightly less done, but some of that could have been from being wrapped up for the trip home. The fries were not huge servings, which is fine. I was still very full at the end! However, we felt it was a little pricey. It was about $47 for three combos, once all the extras and tax are added up. It also took awhile--the place was non-stop busy. I do still want to try the onion rings but I don't think we'll make a habit of going here for burgers. It's not very close to us. They do have other locations though, and if they're also really good, I'd visit one while out. They were planning to open one in Peterborough that wouldn't be too far off our route for when we go to Bancroft, so if that does open, it's nice to have another option. 

I definitely do recommend this place, they are doing a lot of things right!

No comments: