Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Worth Waiting For

We all expected the week after Thanksgiving to be slow. It wasn't until Friday that I got a call for a half day. I wasn't thrilled to drive to the far side of Oshawa for a half day, but I was happy to just get a job.

The school has kind of a weird design. You enter at ground level...which is actually the second floor. The secretary was wonderful and said it was a great school full of great people. I found my room which was on the lower floor, and wow. I've never seen a primary room so clean and organized! I got lots of great ideas for the future (if only I was organized enough to figure a way to keep these ideas organized!). A teacher came by to borrow the key as her's wasn't working and she was so friendly. As kids started coming in at the end of lunch, I went in the hall and the kids were so friendly and polite! And two of the kids had been in kindergarten at the school I was a kindergarten lunch supervisor in! They remembered me (we needed some prompting to figure it out, but still!).

They were on task, polite, quiet. No issues! I had no recess or after school duty! The sun was shining! I had a prep mid-afternoon and I walked around the lower level of the school (I was looking for the staff room but didn't find it). Some older kids noticed I had made a few laps and asked me if I needed help!

Right at the end of the day, there was an issue with one of the students the teacher had mentioned in his dayplan. Nothing too serious, just upsetting to a sensitive kid. We sorted it out as best as I could, and the day was over.

Wow. What a different grade 3 class than I had before. It's amazing how different classes can be. I told the secretary she was correct, the school is awesome and I'd love to be back anytime. I haven't though. Schools like this are coveted by supply teachers who make connections. I wish I had business cards to leave with the VP!

No comments: